On the activities of Lidové noviny publishing house in Brno
Source document: Musicologica Brunensia. 2011, vol. 46, iss. 1-2, pp. -115
ISSN1212-0391 (print)2336-436X (online)
License: Not specified license
Publishing Lidové noviny (The People's Paper) daily unquestionably ranks among the pinnacles of Czech journalism of the first half of the 20th century. The newspaper was founded in 1893 by a lawyer and liberal politician Adolf Stránský and later led by his son Jaroslav. The rise of the daily can be ascribed first and foremost to Arnošt Heinrich, an editor and chief editor since 1919, who won many significant Czech artists for the editorial office work, external contribution as well as creation of fine arts. The big four-storey house at Česká Street No.6 in the city centre of Brno remains a silent witness of the activities of this publishing house whose owners and employees consistently maintained state-forming and democratic positions during the Austro-Hungarian empire, first and second republic, occupation of the Czech lands and the short period after the World War II.