Die Musik in der St. Nikolauskirche auf der Prager Kleinseite in der ersten Hälfte des 18. Jahrhunderts

Title: Die Musik in der St. Nikolauskirche auf der Prager Kleinseite in der ersten Hälfte des 18. Jahrhunderts
Variant title:
  • Music in St. Nicholas church in the Lesser Town of Prague during the first half of the 18th century
Author: Kapsa, Václav
Source document: Musicologica Brunensia. 2014, vol. 49, iss. 1, pp. [189]-209
Extent
[189]-209
  • ISSN
    1212-0391 (print)
    2336-436X (online)
Type: Article
Language
License: Not specified license
 

Notice: These citations are automatically created and might not follow citation rules properly.

Abstract(s)
The present study intends to suggest various directions which the research might take in relation to the music at the Jesuit church of St. Nicholas in the Lesser Town of Prague in the first half of the 18th century. Based on the music-related sources, several specific issues are elaborated: the oratorios played there during the 1710s, the compositions written for the Confraternity of Death by Jan Josef Ignác Brentner, the music ensemble of the church and the sources of music by Jan Dismas Zelenka originating in the former St. Nicholas music collection. At the same time the article draws a parallel between the monumental and radical Baroque architecture of the new church, which changed the face of the city, and the no less important position, which the music of the Lesser Town Jesuits occupied in the Prague musical landscape of the time.
Note
Die Studie entstand im Rahmen des Postdoktorat-Projekts der GAČR P409/12/P953 The Composer and His Work in the Baroque Prague: Johann Joseph Ignaz Brentner (1689–1742).