Title: Oltářní reliéfy v kostele Vzkříšení Páně ve Slavkově u Brna a jejich tvůrci
- Altar reliefs in the Church of the Resurrection of our Lord in Slavkov u Brna and their authors
Source document: Opuscula historiae artium. 2017, vol. 66, iss. 1, pp. 96-115
ISSN1211-7390 (print)2336-4467 (online)
License: Not specified license
Notice: These citations are automatically created and might not follow citation rules properly.
Based on newly found archive sources, this paper provides hitherto unpublished information on the creation of sculpted decorations of the Church of the Resurrection of our Lord in Austerlitz / Slavkov u Brna. These decorations were created at the request of State Chancellor Wenzel Anton, Prince of Kaunitz-Rietberg (1711–1794) in 1789. The stucco altar reliefs of the Slavkov church, one of the most influential religious buildings in Central Europe built in 1786–1789 according to the project of architect Johann Ferdinand Hetzendorf von Hohenberg (1733–1816), was created by Viennese academic sculptors Franz Zacherle (1738–1801), Franz Thaller (1759–1817), Florian Griebler (1746–1813), August Robatz (1757–1815) and Mathieu Renson (1753–?). In addition to the historical reconstruction of the creation of the artistic decoration of the Slavkov church and its art-history analysis, the study also summarizes findings on the life and work of the individual sculptors and recapitulates the primary milestones of their artistic careers.