Church topography of the city of Nitra – a new discovery
Source document: Studia historica Brunensia. 2021, vol. 68, iss. 1, pp. 179-194
ISSN1803-7429 (print)2336-4513 (online)
The author of this study focuses on the issue of the church topography of the city of Nitra, which has not been adequately addressed until now, as the research of the earlier history of this important Slovak city was hindered by an absence of relevant sources. The old archive of the city was destroyed by fire before 1679 and also the city and many of its sacral buildings were destroyed during the Ottoman occupation. The author focuses on the localization and patronage of key sacral objects in the privileged Lower Town (St Peter's Chapel, St Andrew's Church, the Monastery of the Virgin Mary, the Church of the Virgin Mary at Calvary and others). His conclusions allow us to correct the topographical map of the city and to draw up a new map of the topography of Nitra before the end of the 16th century, capturing definitively located sacral buildings in the privileged Lower Town.